2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: 2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Post by bhoovy » March 29th, 2024, 10:13 pm

Very poor performance tonight by the Cats. Even though the offense kept trying to put them back in it, the pitching and defense worked against them all night. Probably the worst of the year. Frost was bad. Wentworth was bad. Hopefully it was just one of those nights that you have after being on a 10 game winning streak. As they say you can’t win them all.

The main thing now is to wash and flush tonight’s game and comeback tomorrow ready to play ball and win a series. A win will keep them in a tie with OU for first. A loss puts them in a tie with UT for second and they have the tie breaker.

Boerema gets the start tomorrow, but he’s struggled with giving up the long ball and UT likes to hit lots of those, so we’ll see if he can have command of the zone and keep the ball down. But the offense is still going to have to put up several runs to come away with the win. And the defense needs to just flat show up.

Very disappointing loss but regardless of the margin it’s just one loss and hopefully they can now start another winning streak.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

NECatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by NECatFan » March 29th, 2024, 10:17 pm

NECatFan wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 10:12 pm
dpecats88 wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 10:01 pm

This didn't age well. 21-11 loss tonight.
Really kicked the shit out of ‘em today! What will tomorrow bring?
And English goes 0 - 5 at the plate in DH role! :oops:

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 30th, 2024, 12:18 pm

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 30th, 2024, 5:18 pm

Cats out hit UT 11-6 in the Third game but get beat 6-3 as the Cats couldn’t get the timely hits and the error bug was once again infecting the Cats.

Boerema pitched 6 inning and struck out 6, but he walked 4 and hit 3 batters and had two throwing errors that lead to runs. Just couldn’t get out of his own way. Neighbors got the last 3 innings and was good the first two, but you can tell he’s not quite back yet as he’s secondary pitches struggled and he gave up back to back homers in the 9th.

But most the KSU hits were from the top two in the lineup as Ingram and Jones each had 3 hits. As good as Day has been he was held hitless. Culpepper just had one hit and left the bases loaded. English was once again hitless after his hot start, and maybe now he’ll keep his stupid social media post to himself. Just a really dumb freshman move.

Cats had all kinds of opportunities to win both the last two games of the series but just couldn’t play clean ball.

They go to Missouri St on Wednesday and then have a road conference series at UCF. Have to regroup, refocus and not let the loss of this series affect other games or series, as I know they really wanted this series with Texas bad and most KSU fans did as well with how arrogant those in burnt orange are. But move on. There will possibly be another opportunity in the tournament where we beat them and knocked them out last year.
randallcat85

sf2145

Post by sf2145 » April 1st, 2024, 1:58 pm

A little too much arrogance after game 1.....
These users thanked the author sf2145 for the post (total 2):
Catalumstlcatfan

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » April 3rd, 2024, 9:18 pm

8-4 win over Missouri State tonight. Culpepper was the star on offense. Bullpen game for the pitching staff. Neighbors struck out three in the ninth.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 4th, 2024, 11:01 am

that's one sweet stadium msu plays in. goodness. must be a minor league park?

nice, solid win for the batcats over there. i wonder if they flew to springfield, i suppose?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 4th, 2024, 1:39 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 11:01 am
that's one sweet stadium msu plays in. goodness. must be a minor league park?

nice, solid win for the batcats over there. i wonder if they flew to springfield, i suppose?
Hammons Field is the home for the Cardinals minor league team. It is a pretty nice park but really too big for Missouri St. seats just under 8k and they’ve not had 1000 yet this year. I believe averaging about 250.

Missouri St is down some this year, but still have an rpi in the 60’s.

This weekend is a pretty big series. UCF is now ranked #20. They have wins over Miami and Florida. They were swept by OU but have taken 2 of 3 in their other 3 series in conference (ku, OSU, tech). Will be a very challenging series.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 5th, 2024, 8:50 pm

Disappointing outing for the first game of the series with UCF as the Cats lose 7-4. You’re not going to win then all and it was on the road and UCF isn’t bad, but the way they played tonight I’m not sure they would have beat Missouri St.

Wintroub with the start and went 3.1 and gave up 2 runs on 6 hits and struck out 4. Arthur came in for an inning and was solid with two K’s and no hits. Probably should have just left him in. Roberts got one out in the 6th and then they brought in Frost, which tells me that Wentworth must be moving back to a starting position since Ruhl still isn’t ready. But Frost wasn’t good allowing 5 runs on 6 hits. The defense also committed two more errors.

Offensively they put up one run on the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings to be up 3-2. But didn’t score again until the 9th on a solo by Jones. And the Cats left 10 runners on base. Had them loaded on the first with one out and got nothing. And two on with no outs in the 8th and got nothing. Just never could get the big hit and ran into outs as well. Ingram and Jones were the only two with two hits. Brady in is a mini slump along with English.

Hopefully the Cats can do what UT did to us last weekend, playing poorly in game one and then getting it together and winning the next two on the road. Also UCF felt game one was very important as they had their closer come in in the 7th and threw nearly 60 pitches. So he’s definitely out for tomorrow and maybe the rest the weekend.

And the Cats missed an opportunity to get back into a first place tie with OU as OSU is going to beat them in game one. But UT lost game one to BYU last night and are in a one run game in the 5th tonight so no one is extending their lead, just having teams behind catch up.

5pm tomorrow. My guess is Wentworth but we’ll see.
stlcatfan

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » April 5th, 2024, 10:42 pm

bhoovy wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:50 pm

5pm tomorrow. My guess is Wentworth but we’ll see.
Boerema is supposed to start tomorrow. Since Frost threw tonight I was thinking maybe Ruhl for Sunday if he’s ready. Wentworth could be another option.