2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
sfs20

Re: 2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Post by sfs20 » April 12th, 2024, 10:08 pm

Starting pitching needs to be more reliable since the bullpen is pretty good as they said on the broadcast we don’t blow late leads. At this point one win in the series would be ok

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 13th, 2024, 7:29 pm

Another poor outing by the Cats in an 11-4 loss. Offense was pretty non existent and wasn’t one of Boerema’s better performances. But they ended up getting to Wentworth too.

Cats were down 6-0 going into the 6th and had one hit. The OU pitcher was good, but not great like the KSU bats were making him look like. He has lost his last two and they had given up double digit runs in those starts. But leave it to the Cats to make someone look like a perennial all star.

They got back into in the 6th by scoring four runs with the top of the lineup getting hot for an inning. But couldn’t do anything in the 7th or 8th and in the bottom of the 8th OU put 5 more on the board with 3 bunts and a check swing dribbler that went down the first base line with the Cats in a shift (I’ll spare you my rant on my dislike of the shift) and cleared the bases.

So the Cats haven’t won a series in OU since 1971 I believe they said and still haven’t. I hope somehow they can pull out a win tomorrow but it was the game I felt like was least likely. And this will be the second straight conference season loss. Falling behind the leaders by 3 games and could be 4 tomorrow, and having other teams leap frog over them. I sure hope this is just a mini slump and will break out very soon instead of another disappointing season. They’re still in good position but now there’s less room for error.

But two real garbage games to watch and against a school I probably have the least amount of respect for so it’s just a bit more bitter for me.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

dpecats88

Post by dpecats88 » April 14th, 2024, 7:52 am

tmcats wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 11:00 am
Toby Hammes
@toby_hammes
“We don't care what name is on the chest of the other opponent. We're gonna kick the shit out of you.” :?

-Nick English on K-State’s 14-6 blowout of Texas. The Cats have won 10 straight and sit atop the Big 12 conference.

Every sense this quote the team hasn't been the same for what was supposed to be a team that would make the tournament. Not looking very good right now.
These users thanked the author dpecats88 for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfanNECatFan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 14th, 2024, 5:22 pm

Well pretty much a crappy weekend for the cats baseball program. They lose the finale 8-7, getting walked off. But the problem once again was falling into a deep hole early, trailing 6-0 after 3. They came back to tie it at 6 in the 6th. But OU got one in the bottom of the 8th to take a 7-6 lead. Ingram launched a homer to left to tie it again at 7. But back to back hits in the 9th off Neighbors let them walk it off and sweep the series, the one thing you can’t let happen. So now they basically give back their sweep of Houston and fall into the muddled middle of the conference pack.

My concern is this team has hit a wall or peaked out early or something of the like. Similar to the basketball team starting 5-1 and then floundering. We started 5-1 in baseball and have gone 2-7 since. We’ll see but this is three series in a row they’ve lost going 1-5. It’s got to change and change soon.

I’m too deflated to give any other stats for this game and there’s really no reason as they once again lost and a lot of it was not executing on the little things and ou did. Moving runners in scoring position. Bunting. Fielding the bunt. Running bases. Good at bats. Executing pitching. They got out played in every phase. Just maddening.

Two midweek east coast road games this week. Hopefully can get some momentum before returning home to face OSU. That won’t be easy and they have a very solid pitching staff.
Last edited by bhoovy on April 14th, 2024, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » April 14th, 2024, 5:39 pm

Almost could see that ending coming even though Neighbors was pitching. Ingram ties it up with a homer in the top of the 9th but Jones swings at ball 4 and Culpepper has not been clutch lately. Big midweek games - need to get some momentum going into the OSU series. Still a lot to play for. I am not sure if we will see Ruhl again this season. Wintroub was not expected to be a starter and now they are starting freshman Dean who started out in the bullpen.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 14th, 2024, 6:22 pm

sfs20 wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 5:39 pm
Almost could see that ending coming even though Neighbors was pitching. Ingram ties it up with a homer in the top of the 9th but Jones swings at ball 4 and Culpepper has not been clutch lately. Big midweek games - need to get some momentum going into the OSU series. Still a lot to play for. I am not sure if we will see Ruhl again this season. Wintroub was not expected to be a starter and now they are starting freshman Dean who started out in the bullpen.
Yeah that ball four Jones swung at was what I’m talking about with bad AB’s. And he didn’t even have to protect. It was a 3-1 count. He should have been looking for one spot or else spit on it and he swung at a ball that nearly hit him. Just bad baseball. Culpepper got thrown out at the plate so instead of having 2nd and 3rd with one out you had 2nd and two outs. Just bad baseball.

And the inning they managed to tie it the tying run was on a ball Culpepper hit into a double play. But with no outs the run scored. I don’t know why they didn’t have him look at a pitch and let Jones steal. He’s leading the league in stolen bases and teams haven’t even tried to throw him out when there’s a runner on third because the cats will send the runner on third. All these little things mount up and especially in a one run game cost you.

But these are the things I’m frustrated with Hughes over. He gets talent, but they constantly fall short. And a lot of it is just simple fundamentals and strategy execution. They should have won that game today if they had just executed.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
sfs20

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » April 14th, 2024, 7:29 pm

The midweek games currently would be Q1 wins since they are top 60 rpi on the road. Not sure who will pitch.
These users thanked the author sfs20 for the post:
bhoovy

NECatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by NECatFan » April 14th, 2024, 8:04 pm

And, the shit kicking tour continues! On a 10 game win streak when the quote was dropped...3-7 in the next 10 games, with wins over Missouri State, Wichita State and UCF (currently 10th in conference standings). But hey, they’re still tied for 7th in the conference with Kansas and Cincinnati. Good lord, just keep your mouth shut and do your part to help the team succeed!
These users thanked the author NECatFan for the post:
WildcatEngineer

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » April 15th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Ruhl is supposed to start tomorrow against UConn so at least he’s back. Wintroub starting against Northeastern
These users thanked the author sfs20 for the post:
bhoovy

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 16th, 2024, 9:57 am

sfs20 wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 11:03 pm
Ruhl is supposed to start tomorrow against UConn so at least he’s back. Wintroub starting against Northeastern
Wow, that’s a bit of a surprise and hopefully good news. Hope he’s fully ready to go. We need him badly.