2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: 2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Post by bhoovy » April 6th, 2024, 10:07 am

sfs20 wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 10:42 pm
bhoovy wrote:
April 5th, 2024, 8:50 pm

5pm tomorrow. My guess is Wentworth but we’ll see.
Boerema is supposed to start tomorrow. Since Frost threw tonight I was thinking maybe Ruhl for Sunday if he’s ready. Wentworth could be another option.
Gotcha. I thought they had pretty well penciled Boerema in as the Sunday guy. Just haven’t heard anything on Ruhl myself and guess it would surprise me if they just inserted him back into a starting roll in his first few outings. Would have thought they might have him come in for an inning or two to see how he looks and feels. But I guess could start on a very limited pitch count. But also would have thought if they did that Frost would be the guy to follow him since he’s used to throwing multiple innings. Guess we’ll see.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 6th, 2024, 8:15 pm

Cats battle to get the win in game two 4-3.
Got off to a 2-0 start in the 3rd but gave them back in the 4th to tie it up at 2. One run was unearned as we threw the ball around and allowed a runner to go to 3rd and score on an out. We got 2 back in the 6th to go up 4-2. Several opportunities to go up more and again left several runners on but couldn’t get the big hit or ran ourselves out of an inning, twice. Gave up a homer in the 8th but held on for the 4-3 win.

Boerema got the start as was very solid. Pitched 6 innings, threw 114 pitches, but they only got two off of him and only one was earned. Only gave up 3 hits and had 7 k’s. Wentworth pitched the 7th & 8th. Was nails in the 6th. Got the first two in the 8th then laid one over the middle that was launched. The next batter also launched one for a double. But he got out of the inning with the lead still intact. Neighbors got the 9th and with throwing mostly off speed pitches he sat them down in order.

The offense was pretty non existent. Only 5 hits and no one with more than one. But had several walks to where bases were loaded and two on, but missed on most all the opportunities. Day again was hitless as well as Culpepper. Day is now under .400 for the first time this year. Need both those guys to get it going.

Noon tomorrow for the rubber game. Need it to remain in second. Have no idea who will start for us as Wentworth threw today. I haven’t heard or read that Ruhl is ready. So could be a Johnny all-staff type of game with throwing numerous pitchers an inning or two.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 6th, 2024, 9:03 pm

day with two runners on hit a shot in the 8th that would have put the game away but the first baseman snag it. great play by him.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 7th, 2024, 2:33 pm

Pretty brutal today. Cats should have just gotten on the plane after last night’s game or this morning as UFC wouldn’t have known the difference with the Cats losing 6-1.

Cats had more errors than hits with 4 errors and 3 hits. Pitching wasn’t just terrible as Dean got the start but got absolutely no help defensively or offensively. They got 2 runs off of him early but both unearned as the Cats had 3 errors in the second. Got another when Culpepper booted a routine ground ball.

Hitting as mentioned was nonexistent. Top 5 hitters had one hit combined and that was Day. The UCF pitcher came out of the bullpen in the second and the Cats made him look like Orel Hersheiser or Mariana Riveria or Randy Johnson. He wasn’t over powering or have nasty breaking stuff, but you wouldn’t have known it and ksu was supposed to be the top offense in the conference. He had a career game against ksu with 8 k’s. Just really sad.

I don’t know what is going on with the defense. They were also supposed to be one of the best fielding teams in the conference but look like the complete opposite this weekend. At least they didn’t get swept and it was on the road.

Now home for a Wednesday game with WSU and then back on the road to Norman for the next conference series and then travel east to play UConn and Northeastern. Really strange scheduling. Sure hope they figure out what’s going on both offensively and defensively cause this weekend was bad.

For those that watched you have my sympathies. They weren’t worth watching.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » April 7th, 2024, 6:21 pm

I did not watch at least. Sounds like not much effort. Rpi is in a good spot so hopefully they don’t limp to the finish line.
These users thanked the author sfs20 for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanbhoovy

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 8th, 2024, 5:57 pm

A little conference update from the weekend.

OU lost 2 of 3 to OSU so we remain just one game behind them. But WVU went to Lawrence and swept the hawks to leapfrog us into a tie with OU. OSU winning the OU series put them in a tie with us as well as Cincinnati sweeping TCU of all things and UT lost 2 of 3 to BYU to fall back into that 3rd place tie as well.

So WVU and OU are at 8-4 and KSU, Cincinnati, OSU and UT are all at 7-5.

UCF and Tech are in 7th at 8-7.

Big big series with OU this weekend. A possible chance to move back into 1st as WVU host UCF.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfankatlander

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » April 10th, 2024, 8:58 pm

Congratulations to the team and staff on a 6-3 win over Wichita State tonight. Swept the Shockers this year. Bullpen game out of the pitching staff and some clutch offense after trailing 3-0 early.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 11th, 2024, 9:01 am

Yes was a nice win by the Cats. Spotted the shocks 3 falling behind 3-0 after 3. But got 2 in the 4th to cut it to 3-2. Then they exploded in the 8th for 4 to end up with the 6-3 final.

Buss got the start and gave up the 3 in the 3 innings he pitched. JJ Slack came in and was really good over the next 4, allowing just 3 hits and striking out 4. Frost pitched the 8th and got the win and Wentworth the 9th and got the save.

Day got back in the groove going 3-4 and Culpepper and Parsons each had 2 hits. No home runs by either team. The Cats pounded out 12 hits and committed another error.

Attendance given was 2030, so sounds like they had a nice crowd.

Now off to a really big series in Norman. If the Cats win the series they can very possibly get back into second. A sweep might put them in first. Just don’t get swept. They are 7-5 in conference so need to make sure to get one to remain over .500.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfantmcats

ChemEngCat
Has thanked: 0

Post by ChemEngCat » April 12th, 2024, 7:44 pm

Not looking good in the first game at OU. Cats are down 9-0 in the 4th inning.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 12th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Not a good outing by the Cats but that’s what gjving up a 9 run inning will normally produce in a 12-5 loss in the opening game.

Wintroub got the start and after the first he was dreadful. Just had a hard time finding the zone and when he did it was belt high middle saying “hit me hard” and OU did. He gave up 8 runs in the 2nd, 6 earned in 1-1/3. Frost came in and didn’t do much better. He allowed 4 runs, 3 earned in his 2-2/3 innings. After the 4th the cats didn’t allow any more runs, but 12 is usually enough and it was.

The cats put up 1 in the 6th and 4 in the 7th to keep it from looking like a complete rout. But there were no cat batters with multiple hits. OU’s starter was truly nothing special. He owns an era over 5. But he had good control of his pitches, threw strikes and was close when out of the zone.

I hope this is like the way the UT series in Manhattan went. We blew them out in the first game but they got some runs late in that first game to get a little momentum heading into the rest the weekend and ended up taking the other two. Hopefully we can do the same.

Boerema gets the start. Certainly need to get at least one but hope we find a way to get one tomorrow and can then have a rubber game Sunday, looking to steal the series.

Around the conference UT lost the first game to Houston, I’m sure the cougar fans were very happy and helps us. And makes our sweep at Houston look even better. OSU beat Cincinnati in extras. Cincy proving tougher than expected. OSU had to come from behind to do it. BYU beat Baylor and is playing well after taking 2 of 3 from Texas last weekend. UCF is up on wvu in Morgantown in the 7th. That would be good for us if they win. TCU loses again at home this time to tech. My how quickly their season turned. Ku is out of conference.

4pm tomorrow. Let’s go Cats.